Apple Health Frameworks
Nov 29 2022 Swift 5, iOS 15, Xcode 13
Part 1: Essentials
1. Learn About Apple Health Frameworks
Part 1, Episode 01, What is the Apple Health Frameworks?
Hey everyone, I’m Emad; welcome to the Apple Health Frameworks video course.
Here, you can learn how to use different health frameworks in your application to let users use health-related features of their iPhones or show the related data by using different health APIs.
What is the Apple Health Frameworks? There are four different areas that apple tapped into it regarding the health frameworks:
- Exposure Notification
In this course, you learn how to work with each of those except Exposure Notification since it’s mainly for government usage.
HealthKit: As apple mentioned in the documentation: HealthKit provides a central repository for health and fitness data on iPhone and Apple Watch. With the user’s permission, apps communicate with the HealthKit store to access and share this data.
This means you get a database for free on the device that has all the records from the user, and if users give permission; you can make the following list:
- Collecting and storing health and fitness data
- Analyzing and visualizing the data
- Enabling social interactions
ResearchKit: In 2015, ResearchKit was released to help researchers tackle some of the most common challenges facing medical research. Since then, this has been the most useful framework for researchers to prepare the different health-related surveys.
This means you get different functionality and UI components for free such as:
- Informed Consent
- Survey Function
- Active Tasks
CareKit: Apple says: CareKit engage patients in their care and recovery by allowing them to track and share daily progress from their devices
This allows you to use the following opportunity to motivate patients for recovery:
- Tracking functions like a reminder
- Intervention and Effectiveness by using charts
- Connect to your doctor as fast as possible
Why should you choose any of these frameworks?
- It’s Opensource and has so many amazing people supporting you and updating the frameworks.
- You have the trust of your users because you don’t store files anywhere else than the user’s iPhone.
- These frameworks give you so many prepared UI Components and seamlessly work together.
- It’s free