Announcing the Advanced Swift Spring Fling!
It’s Spring once again, which means it’s time to take a fresh look at your bookshelf and grow your tutorial library!
To help you do this, we’re releasing three new books:
- Realm: Building Modern Swift Apps with Realm Database: The perfect introduction to Realm Database and Realm Platform. Learn how to set up your first Realm database, see how to persist and read data, find out how to perform migrations and more.
- Data Structures and Algorithms in Swift: Learn how to implement the most popular and useful data structures, and when and why you should use one particular data structure or algorithm over another.
- Design Patterns by Tutorials: Explore the usefulness of design patterns, moving from the basic building blocks of patterns into more advanced patterns and completes the lesson with less common but incredibly useful patterns.
To celebrate these three books, we’re running a special event over the next two weeks: the Advanced Swift Spring Fling, where you can get all three books at a massive discount.
Over the next two weeks, we’ll be releasing some free chapters from our three new books so you can get a taste of what’s in store. We’re also running a giveaway where a few lucky readers can win themselves a copy of one of our new books!
And in keeping with the spirit of Spring, we’re running a time-limited sale to help you save some green:
- Save a massive 40% over the regular price when you buy the three new books in our Advanced Swift Spring Bundle — that’s all three books for just $99.99!
- Want to buy select books from the bundle? No problem. Save 10% on each of the new books when you buy them separately — that’s $49.49 each.
Here’s a quick overview of what’s in each book:
Data Structures and Algorithms in Swift
Learn how to implement the most common and useful data structures and algorithms in Swift!
Understanding how data structures and algorithms work in code is crucial for creating efficient and scalable apps. Swift’s Standard Library has a small set of general purpose collection types, yet they definitely don’t cover every case!
In Data Structures and Algorithms in Swift, you’ll learn how to implement the most popular and useful data structures and when and why you should use one particular datastructure or algorithm over another. This set of basic data structures and algorithms will serve as an excellent foundation for building more complex and special-purpose constructs. As well, the high-level expressiveness of Swift makes it an ideal choice for learning these core concepts without sacrificing performance.
- You’ll start with the fundamental structures of linked lists, queues and stacks, and see how to implement them in a highly Swift-like way.
- Move on to working with various types of trees, including general purpose trees, binary trees, AVL trees, binary search trees and tries.
- Go beyond bubble and insertion sort with better-performing algorithms, including mergesort, radix sort, heap sort and quicksort.
- Learn how to construct directed, non-directed and weighted graphs to represent many real-world models, and traverse graphs and trees efficiently with breadth-first, depth-first, Dijkstra’s and Prim’s algorithms to solve problems such as finding the shortest path or lowest cost in a network.
- And much, much more!
By the end of this book, you’ll have hands-on experience solving common issues with data structures and algorithms — and you’ll be well on your way to developing your own efficient and useful implementations.
This book is in early access; the complete digital edition will be released in Late Spring 2018.
We’ll be releasing two free chapters from this book this week on Wednesday and Friday to help give you a taste of what’s inside.
About the Authors
Kelvin Lau is a physicist turned Swift-iOS Developer. While he’s currently entrenched with iOS development, he often reminisces of his aspirations to be part of the efforts in space exploration. Outside of programming work, he’s an aspiring entrepreneur and musician. You can find him on Twitter: @kelvinlauKL.
Vincent Ngo is a software developer by day, and an iOS-Swift enthusiast by night. He believes that sharing knowledge is the best way to learn and grow as a developer. Vincent starts every morning with a homemade green smoothie in hand to fuel his day. When he is not in front of a computer, Vincent is training to play in small golf tournaments, doing headstands at various locations while on a hiking adventure, or looking up how to make tamago egg. You can find him on Twitter: @vincentngo2.
Realm: Building Modern Swift Apps with Realm Database
Create powerful, reactive iOS apps with Realm Database and Realm Cloud!
Realm finds the sweet spot between the simplicity of storing data as JSON on disk and using heavy, slow ORMs like Core Data or similar that are built on top of SQLite. The Realm Database aims to be fast, performant and provide the commodities that mobile developers need such as working with objects, type-safety, and native notifications.
Realm Database has been under active development for several years. It powers apps by some of the biggest names in the App Store, including Adidas, Amazon, Nike, Starbucks, BBC, GoPro, Virgin, Cisco, Groupon and many more who have chosen to develop their mobile apps with Realm.
Realm Platform is a relatively new commercial product which allows developers to automatically synchronize data not only across Apple devices but also between any combination of Android, iPhone, Windows, or macOS apps. Realm Platform allows you to run the server software on your own infrastructure and keep your data in-house which more often suits large enterprises. Alternatively you can use Realm Cloud which runs a Platform for you and you start syncing data very quickly and only pay for what you use.
In this book, you’ll do the following:
- Learn how easy it is to set up your first Realm database.
- See how to persist and read data under the CRUD model.
- Discover how to work with Realm configurations.
- Design smart and responsive migrations for your Realms.
- Create a Realm Cloud instance and sync your data in real time, across all devices, anywhere.
We’ll be releasing a free chapter from this book on Monday, April 23, to help you get started with Realm Database and see what the book’s all about!