Junior Fullstack Developer (Jun 2021)
Razeware is looking for a junior full stack Ruby-on-Rails developer to join the engineering team that brings you raywenderlich.com. We’ve got big plans, and you could help make them reality!
Razeware is the company behind raywenderlich.com, the most popular mobile development site on the Internet. We are a small bootstrapped company with just 19 full-time team members, and we work with a wide network of over 300 part-time contractors from around the world who help create tutorials, videos, and books for our site. Our entire company is remote, and this job is too.
Over the past 10 years, our community has published over 4,000 videos, 2,000 articles, and 50 books. Our products have made a difference in the lives of thousands of developers across the world, helping them to get their first job as a mobile developer, grow their careers, or create the app of their dreams.
The engineering team has the responsibility for the entire content pipeline—from our automated publication process through to the reading/watching experience for our users. Some of the things we’ve accomplished in the past year include:
- Creating a top-quality online reading experience, and the automated publication pipeline behind it.
- Improvements to the video player, to include cinema mode and better title cards.
- Redeveloping the user homepage to improve user experience.
- Iterating on improving the accessibility of the site.
- Converting a selection of vue.js components into using hotwire.dev.
- Integrating a message bus across several services for real-time notifications.
- Upgrading Ruby and Rails to the latest versions across the entire stack.
We are looking for
We are looking for the third developer to join our engineering team, alongside two designers and an operations developer. Over the past three years we’ve built a content publication platform that makes it easy for our content creators to get their books, videos and articles in front of our audience. We’re now turning our attention to improving the learning experience, making accessing the content easier, more intuitive and engaging. We have big plans for the platform, and need to scale our team in order to achieve them.
You are a problem solver who is keen to use their skills to build an eLearning experience that will help mobile developers across the world. You enjoy learning new things, applying yourself to a variety of different problems, and creating clean, pragmatic solutions. You embrace change and want to join a team that puts in the effort to learn from one other and help each other grow through effective communication and openness.
- Deliver features to improve the experience of our community and customers.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team on technical design.
- Partake in code reviews to improve the quality of our codebase.
- Work with the wider Razeware team to help shape products and features.
- Maintain and manage our existing services.
- Assist the support team.
- Contribute to internal tools and development processes to shape the future of engineering at Razeware.
- 1+ years of experience of delivering high-quality projects in Ruby-on-Rails.
- Experience using git and GitHub.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills—the ability to weigh costs & benefits and arrive at a sensible compromise.
- Strong problem-solving ability—in a technology agnostic manner.
- Desire to learn new technologies.
- Ability to thrive in a remote environment.
Nice to have
Our stack is built on the following technologies. They’re not requirements, but if you’ve got some knowledge, that’s great. You can read a little more about it here: engineering.razeware.com/how-does-raywenderlich-com-work
- Docker & Kubernetes.
- Hotwire & vue.js.
What we offer
- Remote working. Work when and where you want, provided you can manage a three-hour overlay with the standard 9-5 EST workday.
- $75k–$90k USD.
- A premium health plan starting on your first day (US only).
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with matching starting your first day (US only).
- Generous paid time off, including a 2-week company-wide winter holiday.
- Equipment budget (US only).
- Professional development budget for work-related learning materials.
- Mentorship and guidance from across our engineering team, including our senior designer and CTO.
- Work with a friendly, motivated & unique team.
Imagine having the opportunity to join a project with writers from Australia and Italy, editors from Croatia and Spain, and a project manager from Mexico. At raywenderlich.com, this is a typical experience, as we build collaborative teams with the best talent from all over the world.
Our goal is to create a friendly and inclusive community of developers and educators. We welcome anyone, regardless of your age, sexual orientation, disability, physical ability, race or religion.
Our team connects from nearly every continent, and we’re proud of the diverse perspectives and experiences they bring from the tech industry to provide the best working and learning environments for each other and our learners.
Aligned with our company value of “supporting each other,” last year, we have made a public commitment to examine our own habits and biases as a company, and do our best to support equity in our industry. We welcome applicants who share our vision of diversity and inclusion as we strive to create the most high-quality content for developers world-wide.
To apply for this role, or if you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Send your CV and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.